A little taste of the PSB Fitness Canteen
Now our fitness center has a place specializing in healthy eating, the PSB Fitness Canteen.
Come and visit our facilities and change your eating habits, after all, it is never too late for you to have a healthy diet and a better quality of life!
The PSB Fitness Canteen offers a variety of foods and products under the supervision of a nutritionist to better serve the health and well-being of our dear customers.
Below you can see some delicious options from our menu:
Vegetarian Caesar Salad
What is Healthy Eating?
Firstly, healthy eating is not a diet full of restrictions or tasteless. It ensures that the body is receiving all the nutrients it needs. Such as proteins, fats, carbohydrates, fibers, vitamins, water, and minerals. These items are essentials for all people who want to have a better life.
Besides, it is essential to avoid the consumption of processed foods. They are composed of substances that harm our organisms, such as dyes, preservatives, sodium, and sugar in large quantities. So, the more natural the food, the better!
A healthy diet improves people´s quality of life. For instance, it helps to prevent diseases and makes our body function works properly.
Tips on How to Eat Healthier
During our day, there are several responsibilities, and there is often no time left for ourselves, not even to acquire a healthy diet. But it is necessary to be careful, as it is very important to take care of our health.
Check out 10 tips on how to have a healthier diet:
– Decrease the consumption of salt and sugar.
– Drink at least two liters of water a day.
– Avoid fried foods and very fatty foods. Roasted, cooked, and grilled foods are healthier.
– Include three servings of milk and dairy products in your diet. Prefer skim milk products.
– Eat every three hours.
– Prevent alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, and other industrialized drinks.
– Do not overcook vegetables, as they can lose important nutrients.
– Consume six portions of the cereals, tubers, and roots group in your daily diet.
– Eat between 3 to 5 servings of fruit daily.
– Avoid foods with preservatives.
Canada’s Food Guide
In order to help Canadians maintain and improve their health, and make the population aware of the good habits of healthy eating, the Health Canada (government department) released the revised Canada’s food guide.
With this intention, the guide recommends eating a variety of healthy foods each day including plenty of vegetables and fruits, protein foods (preferably of vegetable origin), and whole-grain foods. It also recommends limiting highly processed foods.
The Canadian food guide is divided into 3 groups of foods: Vegetables and Fruits, Protein, and Whole Grain.
Examples of foods in each group:
Vegetables and Fruits: Apple, banana, papaya, orange, carrot, beet, zucchini, pumpkin, cucumber, watercress, onion, chard, cabbage, broccoli, celery, etc.
Protein: Lean chicken, lean pork, fish, lean beef, tofu, beans, lentils, low-fat yogurt, milk, cheese, seeds, nuts, eggs, etc.
Whole Grain: Wheat, oats, rice, corn, sorghum, rye, millet, quinoa, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, oatmeal, whole-grain brown, etc.
Click here to learn how to create a healthy plate
Benefits of healthy eating
The benefits of healthy eating are many, but the main ones are:
– Ensures more energy to carry out daily activities and practice physical activity.
– Prevents infectious diseases as it improves the function of the immune system.
– Decreases the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
– Promotes tissue growth and renewal, especially bones, skin, and muscles.
– Improves performance and concentration on daily tasks.
– Regulates hormone production.
– Helps prevent premature aging.
– Increases sleep quality.
The relationship between healthy eating and physical activities
For those who practice some physical activity regularly, healthy eating is a fundamental factor to guarantee a good result. Therefore, the diet must be balanced and complete for allowing the body to perform its functions properly.
The correct nutrition guarantees the energy needed for your workouts, helps in the recovery period, decreases the risk of injuries, and reduces fatigue. On the other hand, not meeting adequate nutritional demands can impair post-workout recovery and compromise our health. Regardless of the activity, you will be burning energy and therefore, your body will need macro and micronutrient replacement.
In conclusion, healthy eating is essential for physical activity, just as exercising is essential for healthy living. After all, it is this balance that will improve performance and boost your results, right?
PSB Fitness Locations
Sheridan College Davis 7899 McLaughlin Rd, Brampton, ON L6Y 5H9
Sheridan College HMC 4180 Duke of York Blvd, Mississauga, ON L5B 0G5
Follow us on social media and learn more about the PSB Fitness Canteen
Find out more about our loyalty card: Sheridan PSB Loyalty Card